As gas prices continue to rise, many people are feeling the effects of the prices throughout their expenses. If you’re going on a long-term vacation or moving long-distance soon, you may be wondering if it is more expensive to ship a car in 2022 because of the inflated prices we have been seeing. The answer is…it depends. There are a number of factors that go into the cost of shipping a car, and the price of gas is just one of them.
The Average Cost to Ship a Car
The cost of shipping a car will vary depending on several factors, including the size and weight of the vehicle, the distance it needs to travel, and the type of shipping service you choose.
Before this influx of gas prices, it would cost between $500 and $2,000 to ship a car within the continental United States. If you need to ship your car overseas, the cost would have been significantly higher, typically ranging from $1,500 to $5,000 or more.
How Gas Prices Impact the Cost to Ship a Car
When gas prices are high, it can increase the cost of shipping a car by as much as 30%. This is because most car carriers run on diesel, which is more expensive than gasoline. So while higher gas prices often lead to an increase in the cost of living, they can also impact the overall economy and lead to higher shipping costs.
Gas prices are one of the most significant factors in the cost of car shipping, and by understanding how gas prices can affect the cost of shipping a car, you can be better prepared to budget for your next move.
Tips for Shipping a Car Affordably
Just because gas prices are making car shipment more expensive doesn’t mean that there are no ways that you can make sure you are shipping your car affordably:
- Try to schedule your shipment for the off-season. Shipping companies often offer discounts during the winter months when business is slower.
- Opt for an open carrier rather than an enclosed one. Enclosed carriers offer more protection from the elements, but they also cost more money.
- Ship your car with other items to fill up the space in the carrier. This will help to reduce the overall cost of shipping since you’ll be getting more bang for your buck.
Alternatives to Shipping a Car
If car shipping is still way out of your budget even with these tricks, there are alternatives to car shipping so that you won’t have to go without your car.
- The most popular method is to have the car shipped on a flatbed truck. However, this option can be expensive, and it is not always available for long distances.
- You can choose to have the car shipped via rail. This option is often less expensive than shipping by truck, but it can take longer.
- There are some companies that offer shipping by air. This is the fastest option, but it is also the most expensive.
Whichever method you choose, make sure to do your research to ensure that your car arrives safely at its destination.
When It Might Make More Sense to Drive Your Car Instead of Shipping It
There are certain situations when it might make more sense to drive your car instead of shipping it. For example, if you’re moving a short distance, shipping your car could end up costing more than simply driving it yourself. If you need to get your car to a specific location by a certain time and there are no car shipments available that quickly, driving it may be the only option.
However, there are also benefits to shipping your car instead of driving it. For one thing, it can be much less stressful – you can sit back and relax while someone else does the driving for you. Shipping your car can also protect it from wear and tear, which is especially important if you’re driving a long distance.
Whether you choose to ship your car and use one of the money-saving tricks, or you choose an alternative method of getting your car to your intended destination, it’s always good to understand the effect that rising gas prices are having on our economy. You can be prepared for extra costs and ready to take on every adventure with a well-prepared budget and plan.