If you’re like most homeowners, you probably have some extra space in your backyard that’s just begging to be used. Maybe you’ve been thinking about ways to use it but just can’t seem to settle on anything. Or maybe you’ve started a project but hit a roadblock and don’t know how to get past it.
No matter what your situation is, help is here! This blog post will show you some of the best ways to use your extra backyard space to make the most of it.
Create a Garden
One of the best ways to use your extra backyard space is to create a garden. This can be a vegetable garden, a flower garden, or a combination of both. Not only will you get the satisfaction of growing your own food or flowers, but you’ll also get to enjoy the beauty of your handiwork daily.
Here Are Some Tips to Get you Started:
- Choose the right location. When deciding where to put your garden, make sure to choose a spot that gets plenty of sunlight and has good drainage.
- Prepare the soil. Before you start planting, preparing the soil by adding compost or other organic matter is essential. This will help your plants grow healthy and strong.
- Pick the right plants. When selecting plants for your garden, make sure to choose varieties suited to your climate and soil type.
- Water regularly. Once your plants are in the ground, water them regularly (but not too much!) to help them thrive.
You can even sell your produce at a farmer’s market or roadside stand. This is a great way to make some extra money and meet new people in your community.
Get Something Built
You can use your extra backyard space to get something built, whether it’s a pergola, a patio, or a deck. You can also get a shed that can be used as extra storage space or even a place to work on projects.
Building something in your backyard can be a big undertaking, but it’s also a great way to add value to your home and make better use of the space you have. If you’re not experienced in construction, it’s probably best to hire a professional to help you with this project.
Start a Compost Bin
If you’re looking for a way to be more eco-friendly, starting a compost bin is a great option. Composting is a process of breaking down organic matter (like kitchen scraps and lawn clippings) into a nutrient-rich soil amendment that can be used in your garden.
Not only is composting great for the environment, but it’s also a great way to reduce your garbage output and save money on fertilizers.
Here are Some Tips to Get you Started:
- When setting up your compost bin, make sure to choose a spot that’s close to your garden and out of the way of foot traffic.
- The size of your bin will depend on how much compost you want to make at a time.
- To compost effectively, you’ll need a mix of green and brown materials.
- To speed up the composting process, you’ll need to turn the material in your bin regularly. This aerates the compost and allows it to break down more quickly.
Raise Chicken and Sell Eggs
One of the best ways to use your backyard space is to raise chickens and sell eggs. Chickens are relatively easy to take care of and don’t require a lot of space. You can easily build a coop for them and let them free range in your yard during the day.
All you need to get started is a few chickens, some chicken feed, and a place to build their coop. Once you have those things, you can start collecting eggs and selling them to your neighbors or at a farmer’s market.
Not only will raising chickens help you make some extra money, but it will also provide you with fresh eggs that are much healthier than store-bought eggs.
Rent Out a Parking Spot
If you live in a city or near a popular tourist destination, you can use your extra backyard space to rent out a parking spot. This is a great way to make some extra money, especially if you live in an area with high demand for parking.
To get started, all you need is a spot to park cars and a way to advertise your services. You can put up signs in your yard or even create a website to let people know where your parking spot is located.
With a little bit of planning and some elbow grease, you can transform your backyard into the space you’ve always wanted. So what are you waiting for? Get started today!