Selling a car is one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make in your entire life. This is especially true if your vehicle is already in bad condition and fixing it may only cost you a considerable amount of money.
However, when this situation happens, scrapping your car parts and selling them individually are great ideas to get rid of your old, used, and outdated vehicle. Although you may think that selling your car is easier than parting out, it can become a more manageable and seamless process with the help of a good game plan.
So, if you’re looking to dispose of your car parts while earning money, below are a few ways you should consider:
1. Have Your Vehicle Examined
The first step in selling your car for parts is to have it inspected by a professional mechanic. With them by your side, you’ll be able to determine whether your vehicle can still be fixed or if it’s better to dismantle the parts and sell them at a reasonable price. However, you should understand that the mechanic may provide a mixed evaluation of your car and its parts. They may find that some are still in good condition while others may end up in the junkyard.
Once they determine the condition of each part, the next thing they can do is calculate the worth of each part and come up with an accurate price.
2. Finalize The Inventory
After getting your car parts assessed, it’s time to make and finalize the inventory. When you have an inventory in place, it would be easier to know which parts are worth dismantling and selling for a price. In most cases, the following are some parts that are easier to sell even if they come from a used vehicle:
- Engine: This car part will always be in demand for people who need a replacement engine for their cars. However, the price you’ll get from selling an engine may depend on the vehicle’s mileage.
- Airbags: People will always find unused airbags necessary. But, instead of buying brand-new airbags, they opt to purchase second-hand ones to save some money.
- Gearbox: Some people are willing to buy second-hand gearboxes as a replacement for a failed one. Just like the engine, the price of this car part may depend on the mileage.
- Seats: This is one of the car parts that are easy and quick to sell for a good price. Perhaps there’s someone who needs a replacement for their burned or tattered car seats. As such, selling your second-hand seats may be the best option.
3. Understand The Relevant Laws
Just like selling a vehicle as a whole or even restoring an old car, parting it out requires a better understanding of all the laws involved. Hence, if you want to be on the right side of the law, be sure to familiarize all the rules, regulations, and other related guidelines. For example, in some states, you may need some legal documentation before you can proceed with the scrapping process. Thus, you must know the laws involved before making this important decision.
4. Find Some Potential Buyers
If you want to sell a car for parts, it’s important to reach out to some potential buyers who are willing to purchase car parts even if they’re used. Generally, these prospective buyers come into two categories:
- Private buyers: These are individuals who urgently need a car part replacement. So, if you want to connect with them, using online platforms such as Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or eBay can be a good idea. Many private buyers are accessible online, which is why if you want to independently sell your car parts, you should reach out to private buyers.
- Local salvage yards: If you want to make the selling process more convenient, then working with local salvage yards can be the best way to do it. When you partner with these companies, there’s less to worry about because the salvage yard will do everything for you, from taking the vehicle to dismantling all of its parts.
The Bottom Line
As you already know, deciding to part out your car parts and sell them can be a long process. That’s because with all the factors to be considered, including time and effort, selling a vehicle for its parts rather than selling a used car may not be the better route for most people. But, if you choose to get rid of your car parts through selling, following the ways mentioned above can help make the whole process as seamless as possible.