by Sudarsan

When a standard passenger car collides with a semi-truck or other large commercial vehicle, the results are typically disastrous, and the injuries sustained—if the occupants of the smaller car survive—can be severe. Sadly, many collisions involving semi-trucks or other commercial vehicles result in fatalities, and no one survives. Families may wonder, “Can I sue if my family member was killed or gravely injured in a truck accident?” The answer is yes in any case.

Seek Legal Counsel

If a loved one was gravely hurt in a truck accident but is incapable of acting on their own, you should act without delay and call a skilled truck accident lawyer in Grand Rapids, MI. They can help you promptly take on temporary guardianship of that individual. It will then be possible for you to take action in the interim on behalf of the injury victim, such as hiring an attorney, to ensure they and their loved ones receive the benefits and compensation they are due.

The lawyer can assist with filing the proper paperwork and initiating the necessary legal actions so the court can formally establish guardianship, also known as a conservatorship. Following the incident, this must be done as soon as possible so that your truck accident experts can help safeguard the injured person’s claim from the beginning.

You Can Set Up an Estate.

You have the right to establish an estate on behalf of the deceased and request that the court designates you as the personal representative. Only the personal representative of an estate is authorized by Michigan law to make contact with and file a lawsuit with a Michigan wrongful death lawyer. If you’re working with an expert lawyer, they’ll start the right processes immediately to ensure that the case keeps moving forward.

What do You Sue for?

According to Michigan’s wrongful death statute and auto no-fault law, you may be able to sue for the following damages if a member of your family was killed in a collision with a semi-truck or commercial vehicle:

  • Complete Loss of Financial Report for any dependents of the dead (spouse, child, etc.)
  • Loss of Companionship, Love, and Affection – The relationship is lost because that individual is no longer alive. You are legally entitled to restitution for reasonable relationships. This covers individual claims for the deceased person’s children and spouse, for instance.

The list of individuals eligible to serve as the wrongful death claim’s representative and administer the deceased person’s estate includes the deceased’s spouse, children, parents, grandparents, stepchildren, siblings, other relatives, or anybody else included in the decedent’s will. It’s crucial to remember that other family members can file claims for the compensation stated above. Still, they must do so with the personal representative who will file the case on behalf of the deceased person.


The regulations for a wrongful death claim are complicated under Michigan law. It might vary in the amount of time so seeking the help of a knowledgeable lawyer is advisable.

You may also like